Swann Security DVR and NVR V8 recorders have a Deterrent feature setting which can only be initially configured on the unit for the following types of camera deterrent features:
A camera (1st from left and last) can have one or more deterrent features.
These can turn on when:
- A sensor of the camera gets triggered.
- PIR/Motion is detected.
- Manually switched on via Swann Security app.
Things to prepare:
- Ensure your recorder is paired to your Swann Security account in the Swann Security app. See Pair your Recorder on Swann Security app
- Then make sure your recorder is connected to the internet. Not having this will not allow you to manually enable or disable deterrent via the app. See Network Setup: What do I need for my DVR/NVR to go online?
- A camera with a built-in deterrent feature. If the camera does not have a deterrent feature, the deterrent option will be greyed out in the main menu.
- The extension cable that came with the camera. Using older camera cables on a new camera with deterrent features will not allow you to enable deterrent features. It will be greyed out. See Different BNC colors.
- Access the Main Menu of the recorder via TV/monitor. See What kind of TV or monitor is compatible with my DVR / NVR?
1. Setup via Main Menu
- Go to Menu > Alarm > Deterrent.
- Beside the Channel number where there is a camera with deterrent feature, click on the Gear icon under Setup.
Click the drop-down menu to enable Light or Siren. This is to ensure the feature is working. The light or siren will stop after 10-60 seconds by default.
- Light is for the spotlight or ambient light.
- Enforcer is for the enforcer lights.
- Siren is for the audible siren.
- Click the drop-down menu to adjust the sensitivity if needed. 1 is the lowest while 8 has the highest setting (for more distant triggers within the sensor's range).
By default, the whole area in the camera's view is selected (in red). To create a new spotlight detection area, press and hold the left mouse button to select the cell or square that you want to start at, then click and drag to select the area that you want to create. Release the mouse to finish. Each individual square can be enabled to trigger the spotlight. The same action also applies to delete an area that has been created.
- Right-click the mouse to exit the above.
- Then click on Apply to save the changes to that channel.
- Beside the Channel number where there is a camera with deterrent feature, click on the Gear icon under Schedule. By default, the light or siren will not trigger between 06:30 a.m. and 04:30 p.m., however you can change this according to your needs. Each square represents 30 minutes. Using the mouse, click on a particular square to change or click and drag the mouse over the squares corresponding to your desired time period (in blue). Click on Save to apply changes made. Then Close.
- Light Duration or Siren Duration or Enforcer Duration lets you change the length of time the spotlight will remain lit (in seconds) when motion has been detected. Adjust accordingly.
- Below Light or Siren or Enforcer , the box according to the camera that you just configured should already be checked if you did step 3. Scroll the bar at the bottom to the right to see if Enforcer lights were enabled.
- Don't forget to hit Apply on the bottom right corner to save your changes.
- Repeat steps 2 to 11 for each camera with a deterrent feature that you wish to enable.