How to access the DVR using hostname on SwannView Link app? Follow
NOTE: This guide is for the following recorders : DVR-1000 (16ch), 1250, 1260, 1425, 1450, 1580, 2555, 2900, 3000, 3200, 3250, 3260, 3425, 3450, 4000, 4100, 4150, 4200, 4400, 4550, 4600, 4750, 5000, HDR6-8000, HDR6-8100, HDR4-8200, NVR-7072, 7082, 7085, 7285, 7300, 7400
We need to make sure that the Server port and HTTP port of your DVR are open before we jump on mobile access. Here are few things to do.
- Using a computer connected to the same router where your DVR is connected, open a browser and go to www.canyouseeme.org.
- On the Port to check field, change 80 to 85 and click Check our port. Do the same step for port 9000.
NOTE: 85 and 9000 are the default ports of your DVR. 85 is the HTTP port and 9000 is the Server port. You can double check this information if you access your DVR’s menu and go to Network > Advance.
- If it says Error: I could not see your service on <xx> on port (85), (<xx> can be any number) then you need to do port forwarding first. Please visit General Port Forwarding Guide.
- If it didn’t and only says Success or Succeeded, then it means the port is open. Make sure to check if both HTTP port and Server ports are open then proceed to Installing SwannView Link app.
Installing SwannView Link app
- To download the app, go to your Playstore or App store and search for SwannView Link.
- If for some reason you can’t search it, go to http://www.swann.com/us/apps
- Look for the SwannView Link, then tap ‘For Android Devices’ or ‘For iOS devices’
- Open SwannView Link once installation is done.
Changing stream settings
For smooth live streaming, it is highly suggested to use Substream when playing the videos. We will also need to set the substream’s bitrate to its lowest for the unit not to consume too much bandwidth.
- Go to MENU then proceed to RECORD > Encode.
- Choose a channel on Camera No.
- Change the Encoding Parameters to Substream.
- Set the Max. Bitrate(Kbps) to its lowest possible bitrate.
NOTE: lowest bitrate varies depending on the DVR or NVR.
You can also check this article for advice on determining the best setting.
- Click on Apply to save the settings.
- Re-do the steps for other channels.
Setting up a DDNS or hostname
- Access the MENU and go to NETWORK > Advance.
- Click Set beside DDNS.
- From there, fill in the required information.
- If you don’t have a DDNS account yet, you can create your own from any hostname or DDNS website like www.dyn.com/dns.
- Some routers have their own capability for DDNS, or have the ability to update DDNS from providers such as dyn.com. Check your router documentation for more information.
Testing internet connection on the phone
- In case you skipped installing SwannView Link app because you already have the app, we need to make sure that there is still internet connection on the phone.
- To do so, best if you can stream online videos like YouTube just to check your connectivity.
Adding the device and viewing it on the app
- Tap the Add New Device icon.
- Change the Connect Mode to IP/Domain.
- It will show Host but no need to worry, it is still IP/Domain
- Input the information it needs.
- Device Name: <any name that you like>
- Host: <the DDNS or hostname you registered>
- Port: <Server port of the DVR>
- Username: admin
- Password: <the DVR’s password>
- Tap on Start Live Viewto save the settings and quickly load the cameras.
- If you got any error message, try rebooting the DVR or NVR and your router or modem.
- Close the app and open it again.
Article is closed for comments.