NOTE: This guide is for the following recorders : DVR-1500, 1525, 1550, 1575, 4300, 4350, 4500, 4900, 8075, 8050, HDR-8050, HDR8-8200, NVR-7000, 7090, 7095, 7200, 7250, 8000
We need to make sure that the Server port and HTTP port of your DVR or NVR are open before we jump on mobile access. Here are few things to do.
- Using a computer connected to the same router where your DVR or NVR is connected, open a browser and go to www.canyouseeme.org.
- On the Port to check field, change 80 to 85 and click Check port. Do the same step for port 8000 and 554.
NOTE: 85, 8000, and 554 are the default ports of your DVR or NVR. 85 is the HTTP port, 8000 is the Server port, and 554 is the RTSP port. You can double check this information if you access your DVR’s menu and go to Configuration > Network > More Settings.
- If it says Error: I could not see your service on <xx> on port (85), (<xx> can be any number) then you need to do port forwarding first. Please visit General Port Forwarding Guide.
- If it didn’t and only says Success or Succeeded, then it means the port is open. Make sure to check if HTTP port, Server port, and RTSP port are open then proceed to Installing SwannView Plus app.
- To download the app, go to your Playstore or App store and search for SwannView Plus.
- If for some reason you can’t search it, go to http://www.swann.com/us/apps
- Look for the SwannView Plus, then tap ‘For Android Devices’ or ‘For iOS devices’
- Open SwannView Plus once installation is done.
Changing stream settings
For smooth live streaming, it is highly suggested to use Substream when playing the videos. We will also need to set the substream’s bitrate to its lowest for the unit not to consume too much bandwidth.
- Go to MENU > Record.
- Proceed to PARAMETERS > Substream.
- Pick a channel on Camera.
- Set the Video Quality to its lowest possible bitrate.
NOTE: lowest bitrate varies depending on the DVR or NVR.
- Click on Apply to save the settings.
- Re-do the steps for other channels.
Setting up a DDNS or hostname
- Access the MENU > Configuration.
- Proceed to NETWORK > DDNS.
- From there, fill up the information needed.
- Enable DDNS: checked
DDNS Type: <choose your domain>
NOTE: If you don’t have a DDNS account yet, you can create your own from any hostname or DDNS website like www.dyn.com/dns.
- Server Address: <the server of your domain>
- Device Domain Name: <hostname you registered>
- Status: <this is automatic, you cannot change this; shows the status of your hostname>
- User Name: <the username you registered>
- Password: <the password you registered>
Testing internet connection on the phone
- In case you skipped installing SwannView Plus app because you already have the app, we need to make sure that there is still internet connection on the phone.
- To do so, best if you can stream online videos like YouTube just to check your connectivity.
Adding the device and viewing it on the app
- Tap the 3-bar icon located at the top left.
- Tap the 3rd icon to go to Devices.
- Tap on the ‘+’ icon at the upper right.
- Change the Register Mode to IP/Domain.
- Input the information it needs.
- Tap on the save icon at the top right.
- If you got any error message, try rebooting the DVR or NVR and your router or modem.
- Close the app and open it again.
- Tap on Start Live View to load the cameras.