Frequently Asked Questions
Click below to jump to:
- Can I cut the cables? - Changes or modifications made to this device not approved expressly by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment. (Source: page 2 of the User Manual or check our Product Warranty Information)
- What is the operating temperature of the recorder? - The recommended operating temperature is 0°C - 60°C (32°F - 140°F). This is based on the hard drive storage specifications, as this is the most heat-sensitive component. Please note, this is internal case temperature, which will on average be warmer than the external temperature.
- Which cameras will work with a particular DVR? - Some Swann systems have limitations on the cameras they can support. Please see our Camera Compatibility Chart for more information.
- Can I use longer cables? - Longer cables are possible, but performance is not guaranteed. Check the Swann website for availability of longer cables.
NOTE: If you are using 100ft cable, the supplied 12V power adapter is still applicable to use; beyond the same length, it is recommended to connect the adapter directly to the camera (not through the cable)
- Can I disable the user's password and set some access limitation? - You cannot disable the password but you can set limits on the user account by settings some permission. (Source: User Manual)
- What is the password of my recorder? - Modern systems ask you to generate a password on first startup. Older systems may have a default password to use. (Source: User Manual)
- Where can I find the specifications of a recorder? - Check the Specifications section of the product or kit @ http://www.swann.com/.
- What is the wavelength of the Infrared LEDs? - Almost all of our cameras use 850nm IR LEDs.
- How to change the camera layout? - On most recorders: Click and drag a camera to another box to change the position. (Source: Live View section of the User Manual)
- Can I get smoother or real-time video on my TV? - DVRs do not have a decoding step, so all live video displayed directly on the monitor will display in real-time.
- Can I show just 2 cameras on my display instead of 4? - There are fixed display arrangements best suited to the display of camera images. (Source: Live View section of the User Manual)
- What TV brand is best to pair with my recorder? - Swann does not recommend any particular brand; select an LED/LCD display as other screen technologies can be damaged by displaying a static image constantly.
Did you know? - it is best for 1080p recorder or below to use a 1080p display monitor or TV; for 3MP and above, use 4K display monitor or TV
- Why can't I see anything on my display when turning on the DVR? - The default resolution of the DVR is 1024*768, which your selected monitor/TV may not be capable of displaying. Try using a computer monitor (not a laptop) and connect it using VGA cable. Change the resolution if necessary to make it work on your preferred display.
- Can I use my Smart TV to see the cameras wirelessly? - Yes you can use your Smart TV but not wirelessly. Use a VGA or HDMI cable to connect the DVR to your Smart TV. Swann provides no support to use apps on Smart TVs. (Source: Hardware Quick Start Guide)
- Do I need to connect the recorder to a router/modem to record 24/7? - There is no need to unless you are using email alerts or remote access.
- Can my Swann system record continuously? - Yes, but this is not recommended as storage consumption will be high. You can use the manual record button that is available on most Swann system or configure the Schedule settings to record non-stop instead of motion (Source: Record/Recording: Schedule of User's Manual)
- How to access the recorder to a PC or phones?- Connect the DVR to a router or modem and follow the read the Software or App Quick Start Guide posted below:
- Can I connect the recorder wirelessly to the router? - This is possible, but it will require additional hardware not supplied or supported by Swann.
- Can I receive push notification on the app? - No, unless your Swann system specifically has the Push notifications feature. At the moment, the systems that support this feature are the DVRx-4575, 4780, and 4980 with True Detect™ cameras. Otherwise, only email alerts are available. These can still be sent to an email address that is available on your phone, and email receipt can still generate a phone notification. (Source: Description from product's page)